DEFRA Property level flood protection funding 2011-12


The Environment Agency and Department of Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has made £2.35 million of Flood Defence Grant in Aid funding available for property level flood protection, such as flood barriers for doors and airbrick covers, in 2011/12.

The funding is available for groups of residential properties in areas that are at high risk from flooding and where there is no prospect of a community flood defence in the foreseeable future.

This funding follows roughly the same principles as the Defra-funded grant scheme which ran from 2009 and ended in March 2011. It can be spent on property surveys to determine the most appropriate measures to protect individual properties, as well as pay for the full cost or a proportion of the cost for the measures and their installation.


The £2.35 million is only available this financial year (April 2011 - end of March 2012) and flood protection measures will need to be in place and costs claimed by 31 March 2012.

The closing date for all applications was Friday 15 April 2011.

Where will the funding be used?

Following the application and review process, a full list of communities that will benefit from the funding was published on 12 May 2011.

Who was eligible to apply?

Local Authorities were able to apply for the funding and are responsible for carrying out the schemes for communities. Local Environment Agency teams were also able to apply for and manage schemes themselves.

This funding is only available for properties in England as it is provided from Defra Flood Defence Grant in Aid. Welsh Assembly Government fund flood risk management in Wales but do not run an equivalent scheme.

Please note that individual property owners were not able to apply for the funding themselves.

Will further funding be available in the future?

All future funding for flood and coastal risk management will be considered under their Future funding of flood and coastal risk management in England consultation .

More information

For further information please contact your Local Authority or the Environment Agency Asset System Management team in Flood and Coastal Risk Management in your local office.